Calendar Event Details
610AT Weekly Report – Week Ending 11/2/2012
Event Date: Friday, November 2, 2012
Noteworthy Science Achievements/Awards
- A recent paper published in JGR-Atmospheres, which investigates the longwave effects of dust aerosol during the 2008 Asian Monsoon Years (AMY) field campaign, will be the topic of an upcoming NASA feature story scheduled to go live October 31 via the link http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/dust-warming.html. The story reports on work that was done using the SMARTLabs measurements from NASA (http://smartlabs.gsfc.nasa.gov/) to enhance our basic understanding of the longwave direct radiative effects of dust aerosol near the major source regions in Asia the Taklamakan and Gobi Deserts. Highlighted is the significance of the surface longwave impact, where about one-half of the SW cooling by dust is compensated by its LW warming effects. The determined radiative parameters have important implications for better understanding regional changes in surface temperatures and moisture budgets.
- Hansell, R., (613/ESSIC), S. Tsay (613), N. Hsu (613), Q. Ji, (613/ESSIC), S. Bell, B.N. Holben, E.J. Welton, T.L. Roush, W. Zhang, Z. Li, and H. Chen (2012), An Assessment of the Surface Longwave Direct Radiative Effect of Airborne Dust in Zhangye China during the Asian Monsoon Year Field Experiment (2008) J. Geophys. Res-Atmos, 117, doi:10.1029/2011JD017370.
Noteworthy Personnel Awards and Staff Changes
- Charles Ichoku (613) and Luke Ellison (613/SSAI) are participating in the Rx-CADRE (Combustion-Atmospheric Dynamics Research Experiments on prescribed fires) field experiment taking place at the Eglin AFB in Florida (October 30 – November 17), with the participation of several dozens of scientists from the US Forest Service as well as various other agencies and universities.
Significant Planned Events
External Interactions (HQ, universities, other Gov't organizations, etc.
Highlights of Inter-Directorate Teaming
- Knyazikhin, Y., M.A. Schull, Y. Yang, P. Stenberg, M. Mõttus, M. Rautiainen, A. Marshak (613), P.L. Carmona, R. Kaufmann, P. Lewis, V. Vanderbilt, A.B. Davis, F. Baret, S. Jacquemoud, A. Lyapustin (613), and R.B. Myneni, 2012: Hyperspectral remote sensing of foliar nitrogen content. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., (accepted, October 2012).
- Chiu, J. C., A. Marshak (613), C.-H. Huang, T. Várnai (613), R. J. Hogan, D. M. Giles, B. N. Holben, E. J. O'Connor, Y. Knyazikhin, and W. J. Wiscombe (613), 2012: Cloud droplet size and liquid water path retrievals from zenith radiance measurements: examples from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program and the Aerosol Robotic Network. Atmos. Chem. and Phys., [in press].
- Alexander Marshak (613), Warren Wiscombe (613), Patrick McBride (ORAU/613) and others are attending the DOE Atmospheric System Research (ASR) Working Group Meeting, October 29-November 2.
Major events in the coming week
Education and Outreach
Issues and Concerns
Status of any Major Actions