This document is a compilation of publications of the Climate and Radiation Research for calendar year 1994. If you wish further information, or a reprint, please contact the author of the article or the publisher. Currently, there are 44 publications, papers, or other works listed for 1994.
Where possible, a DOI number and link has been provided in order to allow access to more information on the specific publication or document. If you require more information, you may contact the author or authors directly by clicking on his or her name.
Updates to our publications records have been put on hold until a new storage and delivery system has been put in place. As a result, this information is currently out of date and does not include the most recent publications. For a more complete listing of publications, please visit the Sciences and Exporation Directorate.
Book Articles or Chapters
- Davis A., A. Marshak, and W. Wiscombe (1994). Wavelet-based multifractal analysis of non-stationary and/or intermittent geophysical signals. Wavelets in Geophysics. (249-298). E. Foufoula-Georgiou and P. Kumar, Eds., Academic Press.
- (1994). Remote sensing of the direct and indirect aerosol forcing: A review for the Dahlem Conference, Berlin, April 1994. (297-334). Aerosol Forcing of Climate, Charlson & Heintzenberg, Eds., Wiley, England.
- Jiang W. M., Y. M. Xu, and H. Yu (1994). ISBN 7-305-2589-4, Nanjing University Press, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China. (Chinese) .
- Baum B. A., R. F. Arduini, B. A. Wielicki, P. Minnis, and S.C. Tsay (1994). Multilevel cloud retrieval using multispectral HIRS and AVHRR data: Nighttime oceanic analysis J. Geophys. Res., 99, 5499-5514
- Bell T.L., and R. Suhasini (1994). Principal Modes of Variation of rain-rate probability distributions J. Appl. Meteor., 33, 1067-1078
- (1994). Bounded cascade clouds albedo and effective thickness Nonlinear Proc. Geophys., 1, 156-167
- Cahalan R.F., W. Ridgway, W.J. Wiscombe, Harshvardhan, and S. Gollmer (1994). Independent pixel and Monte Carlo estimates of stratocumulus albedo J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 3776-3790
- Cahalan R.F., W. Ridgway, W.J. Wiscombe, T.L. Bell, and J. B. Snider (1994). The albedo of fractal stratocumulus clouds J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 2434-2455
- Chao W.C., and S. -J. Lin (1994). Tropical Intraseasonal Oscillation, Super Cloud Clusters and Cumulus Convection Schemes J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 1282-1297
- Chou M. -D. (1994). Coolness in the tropical Pacific during an El Nino episode J. Climate, 7, 1684-1692
- Chou M. -D. (1994). Radiation budgets in the western Pacific J. Climate, 7, 1958-1971
- Dalu G., C. Prabhakara, A. Pompei, and J. Nucciarone (1994). Rainfall estimation over the oceans from 37 GHz radiometric measurements. II Nuovo Cimento, 17, 349-358
- Davis A., A. Marshak, W.J. Wiscombe, and R.F. Cahalan (1994). Multifractal characterizations of non-stationarity and intermittency in geophysical fields: Observed, retrieved, or simulated J. Geophys. Res., 99, 8055-8072
- Gao B. -C., and W. Wiscombe (1994). Surface-induced brightness temperature variations and their effects on detecting thin cirrus clouds using IR emission channels in the 8-12 mm region J. Appl. Meteor., 33, 568-570
- James P. B., R. T. Clancy, S. W. Lee, L. J. Martin, R. B. Singer, E. Smith, R.A. Kahn, and R. W. Zurek (1994). Monitoring Mars with the Hubble Space Telescope: 1990-1991 Icarus, 109, 79-101
- Jiang W. M., and H. Yu (1994). A numerical study of the thermal internal boundary layer and dispersion of air pollutants in coastal areas Adv. Atmos. Sci.(3), 11, 285-290
- Jin Z., K. Stamnes, W. F. Weeks, and S.C. Tsay (1994). The effect of sea ice on the solar energy budget in the atmosphere-sea ice-ocean system: A model study J. Geophys. Res., 99, 25281-25294
- Justice C. O., V. Salomonson, D. Hall, J. Barker, Y. Kaufman, A. H. Strahler, A. R. Huette, J. P. Muller, V. Vanderbilt, Z. M. Wan, P. Teillet, and D. Carneggie (1994). Terrestrial remote sensing science and algorithms planned for EOS/MODIS: Running Int. J. Rem. Sens., 15, 3587-3620
- Kaufman Y.J., and D. Tanre (1994). Effect of variations in supersaturation on the formation of cloud condensation nuclei Nature., 369, 45-48
- Kaufman Y.J., and L.A. Remer (1994). Detection of forests using Mid-IR reflectance: An application for aerosol studies IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 32, 672-683
- Kaufman Y.J., A. Gitelson, A. Karnieli, E. Ganor, R. S. Fraser, T. Nakajima, S. Mattoo, and B. N. Holben (1994). Size distribution and scattering phase function of aerosol particles retrieved from sky brightness measurements J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 99, 10341-10356
- Kaufman Y.J., B. N. Holden, D. Tanre, and D. Ward (1994). Remote sensing of biomass burning in the Amazon. Special issue on remote sensing of the Amazon Remote Sens. Rev., 10, 51-90
- Keating G. M., L. S. Chiou, and N.C. Hsu (1994). Coupling between middle atmosphere trend estimates and solar effects in ozone vertical structure Adv. Space Res.,, 14, -8
- Keating G. M., G. P. Brasseur, L. S. Chiou, and N.C. Hsu (1994). Estimating 11-year solar UV variations using 27-day response as a guide to isolate trends in total column ozone Earth's Middle Atmosphere Adv. in Space Res. (9), 14, 199-209
- Keating G. M., L. S. Chiou, and N.C. Hsu (1994). Coupling between middle atmosphere trend estimates and solar effects in ozone vertical structure Adv. Space Res., 14, 201-209
- Knyazikhin Yu., A. Marshak, D. Schulze, R. Myneni, and G. Gravenhorst (1994). Optimization of solar radiation input as a tool for planting/cutting of trees Transport Theory Statis. Phys., 23, 671-700
- Lare A. R., and S. E. Nicholson (1994). Contrasting conditions of surface water balance in wet years and dry years as a possible land surface-atmosphere feedback mechanism in the West African Sahel J. Climate, 7, 653-668
- Lau, W., and H. Wu (1994). Large Scale Dynamics associated with Super Cloud Cluster Organization over the Tropical Western Pacific J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 72, 481-491
- Lau, K.-M., V. Mehta, Y.C. Sud, and G.K. Walker (1994). Climatology and natural variability of the global hydrologic cycle in the GLA atmospheric general circulation model J. Geophys. Res. - Atmos.(D1), 99, 1329-1345
- Lau, K.-M., C. -H. Sui, M. -D. Chou, and W.-K. Tao (1994). An inquiry into the Cirrus-Cloud Thermostat Effect for tropical sea surface temperature Geophys Res. Lett., 21, 1157-1160
- Lau, K.-M., C. -H. Sui, M. -D. Chou, and W.-K. Tao (1994). Reply to Comment on paper: An inquiry into the Cirrus-Cloud Thermostat Effect for tropical sea surface temperature Geophys. Res. Lett., 21, 1187-1188
- Li C., and Y. Zhou (1994). Relationship between intraseasonal oscillation in the tropical atmosphere and ENSO CTA Geophysica Sinica, no.l, 37, 17-26
- Lin S. -J., W.C. Chao, Y.C. Sud, and G.K. Walker (1994). A class of the van Leer-type transport schemes and its application to the moisture transport in a general circulation model Mon. Wea. Rev.(7), 122, 1575-1593
- Liston G. E., Y.C. Sud, and E. F. Wood (1994). Evaluating GCM land-surface hydrology parameterization by computing river discharge using a runoff routing model: Application to the Mississippi Basin J. Appl. Meteor.(3), 33, 394-405
- Marshak A., A. Davis, R.F. Cahalan, and W.J. Wiscombe (1994). Bounded Cascade Models as non-stationary multifractals Phys. Rev.E49, 55-69
- Pesnell W. D., K. Omidvar, W. R. Hoegy, and L.E. Wharton (1994). The O+- O collision frequency in high speed flows J. Geophys. Res., 99, 21375-21382
- Platnick S., and S. Twomey (1994). Remote sensing the susceptibility of cloud albedo to changes in drop concentration Atmos. Res., 34, 85-98
- Platnick S., and S. Twomey (1994). Determining the susceptibility of cloud albedo to changes in droplet concentration with the advanced very high resolution radiometer J. Appl. Meteor., 33, 334-347
- Price R. D., M.D. King, J. T. Dalton, K. S. Pedelty, P. E. Ardanuy, and M. K. Hobish (1994). Earth science data for all: EOS and the EOS Data and Information System Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 60, 277-285
- Wen G., and J. E. Frederick (1994). Ozone within El Chicon aerosol cloud inferred from solar backscatter ultraviolet continuous-scan measurements J. Geophys. Res., D1, 99, 1263-1271
- Yang F., and Y. Chongguang (1994). Numerical experiments on the causes of anomalous rainfall in the Yangtze River Valley and the Yellow River Valley in the summer of 1985 Chinese J. Atmos. Sci., p. 345, 18.
- Yu H., and W. M. Jiang (1994). A mesoscale simulation system for atmospheric dispersion in coastal areas Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae(2),. (Chinese), 14, 191-197
- Yu H., and W. M. Jiang (1994). Observational study of turbulent characteristics in the atmospheric surface layer in a lake-shore area J. Nanjing University,. (Chinese), 30, 369-374
- Yu H., and W. M. Jiang (1994). Application of random walk model to the assessment of regional atmospheric environmental impacts Electrical Power Environmental Protection(1), . (Chinese), 10, 20-30