This document is a compilation of publications of the Climate and Radiation Research for calendar year 1997. If you wish further information, or a reprint, please contact the author of the article or the publisher. Currently, there are 44 publications, papers, or other works listed for 1997.
Where possible, a DOI number and link has been provided in order to allow access to more information on the specific publication or document. If you require more information, you may contact the author or authors directly by clicking on his or her name.
Updates to our publications records have been put on hold until a new storage and delivery system has been put in place. As a result, this information is currently out of date and does not include the most recent publications. For a more complete listing of publications, please visit the Sciences and Exporation Directorate.
Book Articles or Chapters
- Davis A., A. Marshak, W. Wiscombe, and R.F. Cahalan (1997). Evidence for net horizontal radiative fluxes in marine stratocumulus.. (809-812). IRS'96 Current Problems in Atmospheric Radiation, W. L. Smith and K. Stamnes, Eds., Deepak Publ..
- Gierasch P. J., R. M. Goody, R. E. Young, D. Crisp, C. Edwards, R.A. Kahn, D. Rider, A. DelGenio, R. Greeley, A. Hou, C. B. Leovy, D. McCleese, and M. Newman (1997). The general circulation of the Venus atmosphere: An assessment. (459-500). in Venus, S. Bougher, D. Hunten, and R. Philips, Eds., Arizona Press.
- Kahn R.A., and D. Wenkert (1997). Earth Observing System. (211-215). Encyclopedia of Planetary Sciences, Ed. J. H. Shirley and R. W. Fairbridge, Chapman and Hall.
- Marshak A., A. Davis, R. Cahalan, and W. Wiscombe (1997). Physical simulation of high-resolution satellite images for fractal cloud model. (301-310). Fractal Frontiers. M. M. Novak and T. G. Dewey, Eds., World Scientific.
- Marshak A., A. Davis, R. Cahalan, and W. Wiscombe (1997). The effect of horizontal fluxes on cloud absorption estimates based on simulated two-aircraft measurements of fractal clouds. IRS'96: Current problems in atmospheric radiation. (415-418). W. L. Smith and K. Stamnes, Eds., Deepak Publ..
- Marshak A., A. Davis, R.F. Cahalan, and W. Wiscombe (1997). Nonlocal Independent Pixel Approximation for computing radiation fields of inhomogeneous clouds. IRS'96: Current problems in atmospheric radiation. (139-142). W. L. Smith and K. Stamnes, Eds., Deepak Publ..
- Sud Y.C., G.K. Walker, J.-H. Kim, G. E. Liston, P. J. Sellers, and K. -M. Lau (1997). A simulation study of the importance of surface roughness in tropical deforestation. Transactions of TROPMET--94, pages unknown.
- Abdou W. A., J. V. Martonchik, R.A. Kahn, R. West, and D. Diner (1997). A modified linear-mixing method for calculating atmospheric path radiances of aerosol mixtures J. Geophys. Res., 883-16,888, 102, 16
- Arrault J., A. Arnodo, A. Davis, and A. Marshak (1997). Wavelet-based multifractal analysis of rough surfaces: Application to cloud models and satellite data Phys. Rev. Lett., 79, 75-79
- Bony S., K. -M. Lau, and Y.C. Sud (1997). Sea surface temperature and large-scale circulation influences on tropical greenhouse effect and cloud radiative forcing J. Climate, (8), 10, 2055-2077
- Bony S., Y.C. Sud, K. -M. Lau, J. Susskind, and S. Saha (1997). Comparison and satellite assessment of DAO and NCEP/NCAR re-analysis over tropical ocean, atmospheric hydrology and radiation J. Climate, (6), 10, 1441-1462
- Cahalan R.F., A. Davis, A. Marshak, D. Silberstein, and W. Wiscombe (1997). Cloud macrostructure and radiation Remote Sensing A Scientific Vision for Sustainable Development: LC 97-70575, ISBN 0-7803-3839-1 F01, 41-44
- Chao W.C., and L. Deng (1997). On the synoptic scale phase lag between deep cumulus convection and low-level convergence Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 549-559
- Chou M. D., and W. Zhao (1997). Estimation and model validation of surface solar radiation and Cloud Radiative Forcing using TOGA COARE measurements J. Climate, 10, 610-620
- Conel J. E., W. C. Ledeboer, S. H. Pilorz, J. V. Martonchik, R.A. Kahn, W. Abdou, C. Bruegge, M. C. Helmlinger, and B. J. Gaitley (1997). Ground-based validation of the EOS Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer (MISR) aerosol retrieval algorithms and science data products Geoscience and Remote Sensing (IGARSS '97. Remote Sensing - A Scientific Vision for Sustainable Development, 1997 IEEE International), 4, 1743-1748
- Davis A., A. Marshak, R.F. Cahalan, and W. Wiscombe (1997). Interactions, solar and Laser beams in stratus clouds, fractals and multifractals in climate and remote sensing studies Fractals, 5, 129-166
- Davis A., D. Winker, A. Marshak, J. Spinhurne, R. Cahalan, S. Love, S. Melfi, and W. Wiscombe (1997). Retrieval of physical and optical cloud thicknesses from space-borne and wide-angle Lidar Adv. Atmos. Remote Sensing with Lidar, A. Ansmann, R. Neuber, P. Rairoux and U. Wadinger, Eds. Springer-Verlag, 193-196
- Davis A., A. Marshak, R.F. Cahalan, and W. Wiscombe (1997). The Landsat scale break in stratocumulus as a three-dimensional radiative transfer effect: Implications for cloud remote sensing J. Atmos. Sci., 54, 241-260
- Davis A., and A. Marshak (1997). LÚvy kinetics in slab geometry: Scaling of transmission probability Fractal Frontiers, M. M. Novak and T. G. Dewey (Eds.), World Scientific, Singapore, 63-72
- Fallah-Adi, J. Jaja, S. Liang, Y.J. Kaufman, and J. R. G. Townshend (1997). Fast algorithms for atmospheric correction from Landsat TM over land J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 102, 17173-17186
- Herman J.R., P.K. Bhartia, O. Torres, N.C. Hsu, C.J. Seftor, and E. Celarier (1997). Global distribution of UV-absorbing aerosols from Nimbus-7/TOMS data J. Geophys. Res.,,,., 102, -10
- Hsu N.C., R.D. McPeters, C.J. Seftor, and A. M. Thompson (1997). The effect of an improved cloud climatology on the TOMS total ozone retrieval J. Geophys. Res.,,, 102, 4247-4255
- Kahn R.A., R. West, D. McDonald, B. Rheingans, and M. I. Mishchenko (1997). Sensitivity of Multi-angle remote sensing observations to aerosol sphericity J. Geophys. Res., 861-16,870, 102, 16
- Kasprzak W. T., G. M. Keating, N.C. Hsu, A. Stewart, W. Colwell, and S. W. Bougher (1997). Solar activity behavior of the thermosphere, in Venus II Univ. of Arizona Press.
- Kaufman Y.J., and R. S. Fraser (1997). The effect of smoke particles on clouds and climate forcing Science, 277, 1636-1639
- Kaufman Y.J., A. Wald, L.A. Remer, B. -C. Gao, R. -R. Li, and L. Flynn (1997). The MODIS 2.1 um channel-correlation with visible reflectance for use in remote sensing of aerosol IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 35, 1286-1298
- Kaufman Y.J., D. Tanre, H. R. Gordon, T. Nakajima, J. Lenoble, R. Frouin, H. Grassl, B. M. Herman, M.D. King, and P. M. Teillet (1997). Passive remote sensing of tropospheric aerosol and atmospheric correction for the aerosol effect J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 102, 16815-16830
- Kaufman Y.J., D. Tanre, L. Remer, E. Vermote, A. Chu, and B. N. Holben (1997). Operational remote sensing of tropospheric aerosol over land from EOS Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 102, 17051-17067
- Lau, W., H. Wu, and S. Bony (1997). The Role of Large-scale Atmospheric Circulation in the Relationship between Tropical Convection and Sea Surface Temperature J. Climate, (3), 10, 381-392
- Liang S., Fallah-Adi, J. Jaja, S. Kalluri, Y.J. Kaufman, and J. R. G. Townshend (1997). An operational atmospheric correction algorithm for Landsat Thematic Mapper imagery over the land J. Geophys. Res. (special issue on remote sensing of aerosol), 102, 17173-17186
- Marshak A., A. Davis, W. Wiscombe, and R. Cahalan (1997). Inhomogeneity effects on cloud shortwave absorption measurements: Two-aircraft simulations J. Geophys. Res., 102, 16619-16637
- Marshak A., A. Davis, W. Wiscombe, and R.F. Cahalan (1997). Scale-invariance of liquid water distributions in marine stratocumulus. II. Multifractal properties and intermittency issues J. Atmos. Sci., 54, 1423-1444
- Mishchenko M. I., L. D. Travis, R.A. Kahn, and R. A. West (1997). Modeling phase functions for dustlike tropospheric aerosols using a shape mixture of randomly oriented polydisperse spheroids J. Geophys. Res.(D14), 831-16,847, 102, 16
- Nicholson S. E., J. A. Marengo, J. Kim, A. R. Lare, S. Galle, and Y. H. Kerr (1997). A daily resolution evapoclimatonomy model applied to surface water balance calculations at the HAPEX-Sahel supersites J. Hydrol., 188,189, 946-964
- Nicholson S. E., J. Kim, M. B. Ba, and A. R. Lare (1997). The mean surface water balance over Africa and its interannual variability J. Climate, 10, 2981-3002
- Otterman J., D. Starr, T. Brakke, R. Davies, H. Jacobowitz, A. Mehta, F. Cheruy, and C. Prabhakara (1997). Modeling zenith-angle dependence of outgoing-longwave radiation: Implication for flux measurements Remote Sens. Environ., 62, 91-100
- Pinker R. T., R. A. Ferrare, A. Karnieli, T. O. Aro, Y.J. Kaufman, and A. Zangvil (1997). Aerosol optial depth is semiarid region J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 102, 11123-11137
- Remer L.A., and Gass (1997). Urban/industrial aerosol: Ground-based sun/sky radiometer and airborne in situ measurements J. Geophys. Res., 102, 16849-16859
- Seftor C.J., N.C. Hsu, J.R. Herman, P.K. Bhartia, O. Torres, W. Rose, D. Schneider, and N. Krotkov (1997). Detection of volcanic ash clouds from Nimbus-7/TOMS J. Geophys. Res.,,., 102, -11
- Sud Y.C., and G.K. Walker (1997). Simulation errors associated with the neglect of oceanic salinity in a GCM simulation Earth Interactions(1-004), p. 33 pages, 1.
- Tanre D., Y.J. Kaufman, M. Herman, and S. Mattoo (1997). Remote sensing of aerosol properties over oceans using the MODIS/EOS spectral radiances J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 102, 16971-16988
- Vermote E. F., N. ElSaleous, C. O. Justice, Y.J. Kaufman, J. L. Privette, L.A. Remer, J. C. Roger, and D. Tanre (1997). Atmospheric correction of visible to middle-infrared EOS-MODIS data over land surfaces: Background, operational algorithm and validation J. Geophys. Res., 102, 17131-17141
- Vermote E. F., N. ElSaleous, Y.J. Kaufman, and E. Dutton (1997). Stratospheric aerosol perturbing effect on the remote sensing of vegetation: Correction method for the composite NDVI after the Pinatbo eruption Remote Sens. Rev.,., 15, 7-21
- Wang M., and M.D. King (1997). Correction of Rayleigh scattering effects in cloud optical thickness retrievals J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 102, 25915-25926