This document is a compilation of publications of the Climate and Radiation Research for calendar year 1999. If you wish further information, or a reprint, please contact the author of the article or the publisher. Currently, there are 42 publications, papers, or other works listed for 1999.
Where possible, a DOI number and link has been provided in order to allow access to more information on the specific publication or document. If you require more information, you may contact the author or authors directly by clicking on his or her name.
Updates to our publications records have been put on hold until a new storage and delivery system has been put in place. As a result, this information is currently out of date and does not include the most recent publications. For a more complete listing of publications, please visit the Sciences and Exporation Directorate.
- Andronova N. G., E. Rozanov, F. Yang, M. E. Schlesinger, and G. L. Stenchikov (1999). Radiative forcing by volcanic aerosols from 1850 through 1994 J. Geophys. Res., 104, 16807-16826
- Cadeddu M. P., C. Prabhakara, G. Dalu, and R. Iacovazzi (1999). Rain retrieval method for Mesoscale Convective Systems Il Nuovo Cimento, 22, 153-164
- Chameides W. L., H. Yu, S. C. Liu, M. Bergin, X. Zhou, L. Mearns, W. Gao, C. S. Kiang, R. Saylor, C. Luo, Y. Huang, A. Steiner, and F. Giorgi (1999). A case study of the effect of atmospheric aerosols and regional haze on agriculture: An opportunity to enhance crop yields in China through emission controls? Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (PNAS) (24), 13626-13633, 96.
- Chiapello I., J.R. Herman, N.C. Hsu, and Prospero (1999). 7/TOMS detection of mineral dust over the north Africa and the eastern north Atlantic Ocean J. Geophys. Res.,, ,., 104, 9277-9291
- Chiapello I., J.R. Herman, N.C. Hsu, and J. Prospero (1999). Nimbus-7/TOMS detection of mineral dust over the north Africa and the eastern north Atlantic Ocean J. Geophys. Res., 104, 9277-9291
- Chou M. D. (1999). Atmospheric solar heating in minor absorption bands Terrestrial Atmos. and Ocean Sci., 10, 511-528
- Chou M. D., K. T. Lee, S.C. Tsay, and Q. Fu (1999). Parameterization for cloud longwave scattering for use in atmospheric models J. Climate, 12, 159-169
- Davis A., A. Marshak, E. Kassianov, and G. Stokes (1999). Three-Dimensional Radiative Transfer Makes Its Mark EoS Trans AGU, 80, 622-624
- Davis A., A. Marshak, H. Gerber, and W. Wiscombe (1999). Horizontal structure of marine boundary-layer clouds from cm-to km scales J. Geophys. Res., 104, 6123-6144
- Davis A., R. Cahalan, J. Spinhirne, M. McGill, and S. Love (1999). Offbeam Lidar: An emerging technique in cloud remote sensing based on radiative Green function theory in the diffusion domain Phys. Chem. EarthB24, 177-185
- Gatebe C.K., P. D. Tyson, H. J. Annegarn, S. Piketh, and G. Helas (1999). A seasonal air transport climatology for Kenya J. Geophys. Res. (D12), 104, 14237-14244
- Hsu N.C., J.R. Herman, O. Torres, B. N. Holben, Tanre, and T. F. Eck (1999). Comparisons of the TOMS aerosol index and the sun photometer aerosol optical thickness: Results and applications J. Geophys. Res.,, 6269-6279, 104.
- Hsu N.C., J.R. Herman, J.F. Gleason, O. Torres, and C.J. Seftor (1999). Satellite detection of smoke aerosols over a snow/ice surface by TOMS Geophy. Res. Lett.,, ., 26, 1165-1168
- Jiang W. M., H. Yu, and X. Li (1999). Random walk modeling of wake dispersion for the exhaust tower of an underground tunnel in urban area J. of Environmental Sciences, 11(4), 474-479.
- Jin M., and R. E. Dickinson (1999). Interpolation of surface radiation temperature measured from polar orbiting satellites to a diurnal cycle. Part 1: without clouds J. Geophys. Res, 104, 2105-2116
- Kahn R.A., and A. Braverman (1999). What shall we do with the data we are expecting from upcoming Earth observation satellites? J. Comput. Graph. Statistics, 8, 575-588
- King M.D., Y.J. Kaufman, D. Tanre, and T. Nakajima (1999). Remote sensing of tropospheric aerosols from space: Past, present and future Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 80, 2229-2259
- Lau, W., and H. Wu (1999). Assessment of the Impacts of the 1997-98 El Nino on the Asian-Australian Monsoon Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 79, 1871-1882
- Li X., C. H. Sui, K. M. Lau, and M. D. Chou (1999). Large-scale forcing and cloud-radiation interaction in the Tropical Deep Convective Regime J. Atmos. Sci., 56, 3028-3042
- Liu S. C., H. Yu, B. Ridley, Y. Wang, D. D. Davis, Y. Kondo, M. Koike, B. E. Anderson, G. W. Sachse, G. L. Gregory, H. Fuelburg, A. Thompson, and H. Singh (1999). Sources of reactive nitrogen in the upper troposphere during SONEX Geophys. Res. Lett., 2441-2444, 26.
- Longo K. M., A. M. Thompson, V. W. J. H. Kirchoff, L.A. Remer, S. R. D. Freitas, M. A. F. SilvaDias, P. Artaxo, W. Hart, J. D. Spinhirne, and M. A. Yamasoe (1999). Correlation between smoke and tropospheric ozone concentrations in Cuiaba during SCAR-B J. Geophys. Res., 104, 12113-12129
- Marshak A., L. Oreopoulos, A. Davis, W. Wiscombe, and R. Cahalan (1999). Horizontal radiative fluxes in clouds and accuracy of the Independent Pixel Approximation at absorbing wavelengths Geophys. Res. Lett., 11, 1585-1588
- Marshak A., W. Wiscombe, A. Davis, L. Oreopoulos, and R. Cahalan (1999). On the removal of the effect of horizontal fluxes in two-aircraft measurements of cloud absorption Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 125, 2153-2170
- Mocko D.M., G.K. Walker, and Y.C. Sud (1999). New snow-physics to complement SSiB. Part II: Effects on soil moisture initialization and simulated surface fluxes, precipitation and hydrology of GEOS II GCM J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, (1B), 77, 349-366
- Oreopoulos L., and H. W. Barker (1999). Accounting or subgrid-scale cloud variability in a multi-layer 1D solar radiative transfer algorithm Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 125, 301-330
- Ou S. C., K. N. Liou, M.D. King, and S.C. Tsay (1999). Remote sensing of cirrus cloud parameters based on a 0.63-3.7 µm radiance correlation technique applied to AVHRR data J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), 26, 2437-2440
- Polissar A. V., P. K. Hopke, P. Paatero, Y.J. Kaufman, D. K. Hall, B. A. Bodhaine, and E. G. Dutton (1999). The aerosol at Barrow, Alaska: Long-term trends and source locations Atmos Environ., 33, 2441-2458
- Prabhakara C., and R. Iacovazzi (1999). Comments on analysis of the merging procedure for the MSU daily temperature time series J. Climate, 12, 82-85
- Prabhakara C., R. Iacovazzi, R. Oki, and J. Weinman (1999). A microwave radiometer rain retrieval method applicable to land areas J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 77, 859-871
- Remer L.A., Y.J. Kaufman, and B. N. Holben (1999). Interannual variation of ambient aerosol characteristics on the East Coast of the United States J. Geophys. Res. (TARFOX special issue), 104, 2223-2231
- Rozanov E., V. Zubov, M. Schlesinger, F. Yang, and N. Andronova (1999). Three-dimensional simulations of ozone in the stratosphere and comparison with UARS data Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 24, 459-463
- Rozanov E., V. Zubov, M. E. Schlesinger, F. Yang, and N. G. Andronova (1999). The UIUC 3-D stratospheric chemical transport model: Description and evaluation of the simulated source gases and ozone J. Geophys. Res., 104, 11755-11781
- Sud Y.C., and G.K. Walker (1999). Microphysics of clouds with the relaxed Arakawa-Schubert Cumulus Scheme (McRAS). Part I: Design and evaluation with GATE Phase III data J. Atmos. Sci., (18), 56, 3196-3220
- Sud Y.C., and G.K. Walker (1999). Microphysics of clouds with the relaxed Arakawa-Schubert Cumulus Scheme (McRAS). Part II: Implementation and performance in GEOS II GCM J. Atmos. Sci., (18), 56, 3221-3240
- Sud Y.C., and D.M. Mocko (1999). New snow-physics to complement SSiB. Part I: Design and evaluation with ISLSCP Initiative I datasets J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, (1B), 77, 335-348
- Sud Y.C., G.K. Walker, and K. -M. Lau (1999). Mechanisms regulating deep moist convection and sea-surface temperatures in the tropics Geophys. Res. Lett., (8), 26, 1019-1022
- Tanre D., L.A. Remer, Y.J. Kaufman, S. Mattoo, P. V. Hobbs, J. M. Livingston, P. B. Russell, and A. Smirnov (1999). Retrieval of aerosol optical thickness and size distribution over ocean from the MODIS Airborne Simulator during TARFOX J. Geophys. Res., 104, 2261-2278
- Wan Z., Y. Zhang, X. Ma, M.D. King, J. S. Myers, and X. Li (1999). Vicarious calibration of Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer Airborne Simulator thermal-infrared channels Appl. Opt., 38, 6294-6306
- Wen G., S.C. Tsay, R. Cahalan, and L. Oreopoulos (1999). Path radiance technique for retrieving aerosol optical thickness over land J. Geophys. Res. - Atmos., 104, 31321-31332
- Zhang C., and M. D. Chou (1999). Variability of water vapor, infrared radiative cooling and atmospheric instability for convection in the equatorial western Pacific J. Atmos. Sci., 56, 711-723
- Davis A., A. Marshak, and E. Clothiaux (1999). Anisotropic multi-resolution analysis in 2D, Application to long-range correlations in cloud mm-radar fields [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from S.P.I.E. Proceedings, , H. H. Szu
- Liu S. C., and H. Yu (1999). Modelling the vertical distributions of non-methane hydrocarbons and their potential impact on the background atmosphere NATO Report V-102, KFA, , Juelich, Germany, 125-136