This document is a compilation of publications of the Climate and Radiation Research for calendar year 2001. If you wish further information, or a reprint, please contact the author of the article or the publisher. Currently, there are 54 publications, papers, or other works listed for 2001.
Where possible, a DOI number and link has been provided in order to allow access to more information on the specific publication or document. If you require more information, you may contact the author or authors directly by clicking on his or her name.
Updates to our publications records have been put on hold until a new storage and delivery system has been put in place. As a result, this information is currently out of date and does not include the most recent publications. For a more complete listing of publications, please visit the Sciences and Exporation Directorate.
Book Articles or Chapters
- Davis A., A. Marshak, and R. Cahalan (2001). Green functions for multiple scattering as mathematical tools for dense cloud remote sensing: theory, with passive and active applications. (294-306). Laser Radar Technology and Applications VI, ed. Gary W. Kamerman.
- Kaufman Y.J., D. Tanre, and L.A. Remer (2001). New frontiers in remote sensing of aerosols and their radiative forcing of climate. Frontiers in Research of Climate Change, Kiehl and Ramanathan, Eds. (12).
- Kinne S., B. Holben, T. Eck, A. Smirnov, O. Dubovik, I. Slutsker, D. Tanre, G. Zibozdi, U. Lohmann, S. Ghan, R. Easter, M. Chin, P. Ginoux, T. Takemura, I. Tegen, D. Koch, R.A. Kahn, E. Vermote, L. Stowe, O. Torres, M. Mishchenko, I. Geogdzhayev, and A. Hiragushi (2001). How well do aerosol retrievals from satellites and representation in global circulation models match ground-based AERONET aerosol statistics?. (103-158). Remote Sensing and Climate Modeling: Synergies and Limitations, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Boston, London, M. Beniston and M.M. Verstraete, Eds..
- Pinty B., M. M. Verstraete, N. Gobron, F. Roveda, Y. Govaerts, J. V. Martonchik, D. J. Diner, and R.A. Kahn (2001). Exploitation of surface albedo derived from the Meteosat data to characterize land surface changes. (51-67). Remote Sensing and Climate Modeling: Synergies and Limitations, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Boston, London, M. Beniston and M.M. Verstraete, Eds..
- Barker H., and A. Marshak (2001). Inferring optical depth of broken clouds above green vegetation using surface solar radiometric measurements J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 2989-3006
- Bell T.L., P.K. Kundu, and C. Kummerow (2001). Sampling errors of SSM/I and TRMM rainfall averages: Comparison with error estimates from surface data and a simple model J. Appl. Meteor., 40, 938-954
- Cahalan R.F., L. Oreopoulos, G. Wen, A. Marshak, S.C. Tsay, and T. P. DeFelice (2001). Cloud characterization and clear sky correction from Landsat 7 Remote Sens. Environ., 78, 83-98
- Chao W.C., and B. Chen (2001). Multiple equilibria of the ITCZ and the origin of monsoon onset. Part II: Rotational ITCZ attractors J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 2820-2831
- Chao W.C., and B. Chen (2001). On the role of surface friction in Tropical Intraseasonal Oscillation Mon. Wea. Rev., 129, 896-904
- Chao W.C., and B. Chen (2001). The origin of monsoons J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 3497-3507
- Chou M. D., P. K. Chan, and M. Yan (2001). A sea-surface radiation data set for climate applications in the tropical western Pacific and South China Sea J. Geophys. Res., 106, 7219-7228
- Davis A., and A. Marshak (2001). Multiple scattering in clouds: Insights from three-dimensional diffusion theory Nuclear Sci. and Engin., 137, 251-280
- DeFelice T. P., and R.F. Cahalan (2001). Comment and Reply on "Landsat 7 reveals more than just surface features in remote areas of the globe" Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc.,., 82, 313-314
- Diner D. J., W. A. Abdou, J. E. Conel, K. A. Crean, B. J. Gaitley, M. Helmlinger, R.A. Kahn, J. V. Martonchik, and S. H. Pilorz (2001). MISR aerosol retrievals over southern Africa during the SAFARI-2000 dry season campaign Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 3127-3130
- Eck T. F., B. N. Holben, D. E. Ward, O. Dubovik, J. S. Reid, A. Smirnov, M. M. Mukelabai, N.C. Hsu, and O (2001). Characterization of the optical properties of biomass burning aerosols in Zambia during the 1997 ZIBBEE field campaign J. Geophys. Res., 106, -23
- Feingold G., L.A. Remer, J. Ramaprasad, and Y.J. Kaufman (2001). Analysis of smoke impact on clouds in Brazilian biomass burning regions: An extension of Twomey's approach J. Geophys. Res., 106, 22907-22922
- Gatebe C.K., M.D. King, S.C. Tsay, Q. Ji, G. T. Arnold, and J. Y. Li (2001). Sensitivity of off-nadir zenith angles to correlation between visible and near-infrared reflectance for use in remote sensing of aerosol over land IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 39, 805-819
- Gatebe C.K., P. D. Tyson, H. J. Annegarn, G. Helas, A. M. Kinyua, and S. Piketh (2001). Characterisation and transport of aerosols over equatorial eastern Africa Global Biogeochem. Cycles (3), 15, 663-672
- Gerber H., J. Jensen, A. Davis, A. Marshak, and W. Wiscombe (2001). Spectral density of cloud liquid water content at high frequencies J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 497-503
- Holben B. N., D. Tanre, A. Smirnov, T. F. Eck, I. Slutsker, N. Abuhassan, W. W. Newcomb, J. S. Schafer, B. Chatenet, F. Lavenu, Y.J. Kaufman, J. V. Castle, A. Setzer, B. Markham, D. Clark, R. Frouin, R. Halthore, A. Karnieli, O'Neill N. T., C. Pietras, R. T. Pinker, K. Voss, and G. Zibordi (2001). An emerging ground based aerosol climatology: Aerosol optical depth from AERONET Geophys. Res. Lett., 106, 12067-12097
- Kahn R.A., P. Banerjee, and D. McDonald (2001). The sensitivity of multiangle imaging to natural mixtures of aerosols over ocean J. Geophys. Res., 219-18,238, 106, 18
- Kahn R.A., P. Banerjee, D. McDonald, and J. Martonchik (2001). Aerosol properties derived from aircraft multi-angle imaging over Monterey Bay J. Geophys. Res., 977-11,995, 106, 11
- Karnieli A., Y.J. Kaufman, L.A. Remer, and A. Wald (2001). AFRI-aerosol free vegetation index Remote Sens. Environ., (1),., 77, 1-21
- Kaufman Y.J., A. Smirnov, B. Holben, and O. Dubovik (2001). Baseline maritime aerosol methodology to derive the optical thickness and scattering properties Geophys Res. Lett., 28, 3251-3254
- Kaufman Y.J., D. Tanre, O. Dubovik, A. Karnieli, and L.A. Remer (2001). Absorption of sunlight by dust as inferred from satellite and ground-based remote sensing Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 1479-1483
- Kreidenweiss S. M., L.A. Remer, R. Bruintjes, R. Kleidman, and O. Dubovik (2001). Smoke aerosol from biomass burning in Mexico: Hygroscopic smoke optical model J. Geophys. Res., 106, 4831-4844
- Lau, W., and H. Wu (2001). Principal Modes of Rainfall-SST Variability of the Asian Summer Monsoon: A Reassessment of the Monsoon-ENSO Relationship J. Climate, 14, 2880-2895
- Li Z., Y.J. Kaufman, C. Ichoku, R. Fraser, A. Trishchenko, L. Giglio, and J. Jin (2001). A review of AVHRR-based active fire detection algorithms: Principles, limitations, and recommendations, in Global and Regional Vegetation Fire Monitoring From Space: Planning and Coordinated International Effort edited by F.J. Ahern, J.G. Goldammer, and C.O. Justice, SPB Acad., The Hague, 199-225
- Lyapustin A. I., and Y.J. Kaufman (2001). The role of adjacency effect in the optical remote sensing of aerosol J. Geophys. Res., 106, 11909-11916
- Marchand R. T., T. P. Ackerman, M.D. King, C. Moroney, R. Davies, J. P. Muller, and H. Gerber (2001). Multiangle observations of Arctic stratus clouds from FIRE ACE: June 3, 1998 case study J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.), July 27, 106, 15201-15214
- Martonchik J. V., R.A. Kahn, D. J. Diner, and R. A. West (2001). Comments on: Retrieval of aerosol properties over the ocean using multispectral and multiangle photopolarimetric measurements from the Research Scanning Polarimeter Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 3275-3276
- Mocko D.M., and Y.C. Sud (2001). Refinements to SSiB with an emphasis on snow-physics: Evaluation and validation using GSWP and Valdai data Earth Interactions(5-001), p. 31 pages, 5.
- (2001). Approximations for horizontal transport in cloud remote sensing problems J. Quant. Spectr. and Rad. Trans., 68, 75-99
- (2001). A superposition technique for deriving photon scattering statistics in plane-parallel cloudy atmospheres J. Quant. Spectr. and Rad. Trans., 68, 57-73
- Platnick S., J. Y. Li, M.D. King, H. Gerber, and P. V. Hobbs (2001). A solar reflectance method for retrieving the optical thickness and droplet size of liquid water clouds over snow and ice surfaces J. Geophys. Res., 106, 15185-15199
- Prabhakara C., R. Iacovazzi, and J. M. Yoo (2001). TRMM observations of polarization difference in 85 GHz: Information about hydrometeors and rain rate J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 79, 701-707
- Remer L.A., A. E. Wald, and Y.J. Kaufman (2001). Angular and seasonal variation of spectral surface reflectance ratios: Implications for the remote sensing of aerosol over land IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 39, 275-283
- Sabbah I., C. Ichoku, Y.J. Kaufman, and L.A. Remer (2001). Full year cycle of desert dust spectral optical thickness and precipitable water vapor over Alexandria, Egypt J. Geophys. Res., 106, 18305-18316
- Sokolik I. N., D. Winker, G. Bergametti, D. Gillette, G. Carmichael, Y.J. Kaufman, L. Gomes, L. Schuetz, and J. Penner (2001). Introduction to Special Section on Mineral Dust: Outstanding problems in quantifying the radiative impact of mineral dust J. Geophys. Res., 106, 18015-18027
- Sud Y.C., D.M. Mocko, G.K. Walker, and R. D. Koster (2001). Influence of land surface fluxes on precipitation: Inferences from simulations forced with four ARM-CART SCM datasets J. Climate, (17), 14, 3666-3691
- Tanre D., Y.J. Kaufman, B. N. Holben, B. Chatenet, A. Karnieli, F. Lavenu, L. Blarel, O. Dubovik, L.A. Remer, and A. Smirnov (2001). Climatology of dust aerosol size distribution and optical properties derived from remotely sensed data in the solar spectrum J. Geophys. Res., 106, 18205-18218
- Tanre D., Y.J. Kaufman, B. N. Holben, B. Chatenet, A. Karnieli, F. Lavenu, L. Blarel, O. Dubovik, L.A. Remer, and A. Smirnov (2001). Climatology of dust aerosol size distribution and optical properties derived from remotely sensed data in the solar spectrum J. Geophys. Res., 106, 18205-18217
- Tyson P. D., and C.K. Gatebe (2001). The atmosphere, aerosols, trace gases and biogeochemical change in southern Africa: a regional integration South African Journal of Science, 97(3-4), 106-118
- Varnai T., and A. Marshak (2001). Statistical analysis of the uncertainties in cloud optical depth retrievals caused by three-dimensional radiative effects J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 1540-1548
- Wen G., R.F. Cahalan, T. -S. Tsay, and L. Oreopoulos (2001). Impact of cumulus cloud spacing on Landsat atmospheric correction and aerosol retrieval J. Geophys. Res. - Atmos., 106, 12129-12138
- Wilcox E.M., and V. Ramanathan (2001). Scale Dependence of the Thermodynamic Forcing of Tropical Monsoon Clouds: Results from TRMM Observations J. Climate, 14, 1511-1524
- Yang F., A. Kumar, W. Wang, H. -M. H. Juang, and M. Kanamitsu (2001). Snow-albedo feebback and seasonal climate variability over North America J. Climate (Letter), 14, 4245-4248
- Yang F., A. Kumar, and W. Wang (2001). Seasonal dependence of surface wind stress variability on SST and precipitation over the tropical Pacific Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 3171-3175
- Yang F., and M. E. Schlesinger (2001). Identification and separation of Pinatubo and El Nino-Southern Oscillation land surface temperature anomalies J. Geophys. Res. (14), 106, 757-14770
- Yang P., B. C. Gao, B. A. Baum, Y. Hu, W.J. Wiscombe, M. I. Mishchenko, D. M. Winker, and S. L. Nasiri (2001). Asymptotic solutions for optical properties of large particles with strong absorption Appl. Opt., 40, 1532-1547
- Yang P., B. C. Gao, B. A. Baum, W.J. Wiscombe, Y. X. Hu, S. L. Nasiri, P. F. Soulen, A. J. Heymsfield, G. M. McFarquhar, and L. M. Miloshevich (2001). Sensitivity of cirrus bidirectional reflectance to vertical inhomogeneity of ice crystal habits and size distributions for two Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) bands J. Geophys. Res., 106, 17267-17291
- Yang P., B. C. Gao, B. A. Baum, Y. X. Hu, W.J. Wiscombe, S.C. Tsay, D. M. Winker, and S. L. Nasiri (2001). Radiative properties of cirrus clouds in the infrared (8-13 microns) spectral region J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Trans., 70, 473-504
- Zhou Y., K. C. Rutledge, T. P. Charlock, N. G. Leob, and S. Kato (2001). Atmospheric Corrections for TOA and surface BRDF characteristics from high resolution spectroradiometric/angular measurements from a helicopter platform Adv. Atmos. Sci., 18, 984-1004
- Zhou Y., and R. D. Cess (2001). Algorithm-development strategies for retrieving the downwelling longwave flux at the Earth\'s surface J. Geophys. Res., 477-12,488, 106, 12