This document is a compilation of publications of the Atmospheric for calendar year 1996. If you wish further information, or a reprint, please contact the author of the article or the publisher. Currently, there are 53 publications, papers, or other works listed for 1996.
Where possible, a DOI number and link has been provided in order to allow access to more information on the specific publication or document. If you require more information, you may contact the author or authors directly by clicking on his or her name.
Updates to our publications records have been put on hold until a new storage and delivery system has been put in place. As a result, this information is currently out of date and does not include the most recent publications. For a more complete listing of publications, please visit the Sciences and Exporation Directorate.
Book Articles or Chapters
- Davis A., A. Marshak, W. Wiscombe, and R.F. Cahalan (1996). Multifractal characterizations of intermittency in nonstionary geophysical signals and fields. (97-158). Nonstationary Random Processes and Their Applications, G. Trevino, Ed., World Scientific.
- Kaufman Y.J., L.A. Remer, D. E. Ward, R. Kleidman, L. Flynn, G. Shelton, R. D. Ottmar, R. -R. Li, R. S. Fraser, and D. McDougal (1996). Relationship between remotely sensed fire intensity and rate of emission of smoke: SCAR-C Experiment. (685-696). Global Biomas Burning, J. Levin, Ed., The MIT Press.
- Remer L.A., Y.J. Kaufman, and B. N. Holben (1996). The size distribution of ambient aerosol particles, Smoke vs. urban/industrial aerosol. (519-530). Biomass Burning and Global Change, J. S. Levine, Ed., MIT Press, Cambridge MA.
- Abuelgasim, A.A., S. Gopal, J.R. Irons, and A.H. Strahler (1996). Classification of ASAS multiangle and multispectral measurements using artificial neural networks. Remote Sens. Environ., 57(2), 79-87
- Arking A., M. -D. Chou, and W.L. Ridgway (1996). On estimating the effects of clouds on atmospheric absorption based on flux observations above and below cloud level Geophys. Res. Lett., 23, 829-832
- Bell T.L., and P.K. Kundu (1996). A study of the sampling error in satellite rainfall estimates using optimal averaging of data and a stochastic model J. Climate, 9, 1251-1268
- Cahalan R.F., and L. Green (1996). Review of Introduction to Circulating Atmospheres by I. James Amer. Sci., 84, 602-603
- Cahalan R.F., L. Wharton, and M. -L. Wu (1996). Empirical Orthogonal Functions of monthly temperature and precipitation over the United States and homogeneous stochastic models J. Geophys. Res., 101, 26309-26318
- Cess R. D., M. H. Zhang, Y. Zhou, X. Jing, and V. Dvortsov (1996). Absorption of solar radiation by clouds: Interpretations of satellite, surface, and aircraft measurements J.Geophys.Res., 299-23,309, 101, 23
- Chao W.C., and L. Deng (1996). On the roles of WISHE in a 2D model of Super Cloud Clusters J. Geophys. Res., 101, 16931-16937
- Chen T. -C., M.Y. Yan, J. Pfaendtner, and Y.C. Sud (1996). Annual variation of the global precipitable water and its maintenance: Observation and climate-simulation TellusA(1), p. 1-16, 48.
- Chen T. -C., M.Y. Yan, J. Pfaendtner, and Y.C. Sud (1996). A complementary depiction of interannual variation of atmospheric circulation associated with ENSO events Atmos.-Oceans, (2), 34, 417-433
- Chou M. D., and W. T. Lee (1996). Parameterizations for the absorption of solar radiation by water vapor and ozone J. Atmos. Sci., 53, 1203-1208
- Davis A., A. Marshak, W. Wiscombe, and R.F. Cahalan (1996). Scale-invariance of liquid water distributions in marine stratocumulus. I. Spectral properties and stationarity issues J. Atmos. Sci., 53, 1538-1558
- Ellingson R., and W. Wiscombe (1996). The Spectral Radiance Experiment (SPECTRE): Project description and sample results Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., pages unknown, 77.
- Gao B. -C., and Y.J. Kaufman (1996). Selection of the 1.375 m MODIS channel for remote sensing of cirrus clouds and stratospheric aerosols from space J. Atmos. Sci., 52, 4231-4237
- Gatebe C.K., A. M. Kinyua, M. J. Mangala, R. Kwach, L. N. Njau, E. A. Mukolwe, and D. M. Maina (1996). The determination of suspended particulate matter of major significance to human health using nuclear techniques in Kenya J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 203, 125-134
- Gitelson A., Y.J. Kaufman, and M. Merzlyak (1996). 'Green' Atmospherically Resistant Vegetation Index (GARI) for EOS-MODIS Remote Sens. Environ., 58, 289-298
- Hellman F., M. Q. Tran, A. E. Gebala, E.M. Wilcox, and R. C. Dynes (1996). Metal-Insulator Transition and Giant Negative Magnetoresistance in Amorphous Magnetic Rare Earth Silicon Alloys Phys. Rev. Lett., 77, 4652-4655
- Hsu N.C., J.R. Herman, P.K. Bhartia, C.J. Seftor, O. Torres, A. M. Thompson, J.F. Gleason, T. F. Eck, and B. N. Holben (1996). Detection of biomass burning smoke from TOMS measurements Geophy. Res. Lett., 23, 745-748
- Jenkins, G.S., K.I. Mohr, V. R. Morris, and O. Arino (1996). The role of convective processes over the Zaire-Congo Basin to the southern hemisphere ozone maximum Journal of Geophysical Research, 102, 18,963-18,980
- Joiner, J., and A.C. Aiken (1996). Temporal and Spatial Variations in Upper Atmospheric Mg+ J. Geophys. Res., 101, 5239-5249
- Karnieli A., M. Shachak, H. Tsoar, E. Zaady, Y.J. Kaufman, A. Danin, and W. Poter (1996). The effect of microphytes on the spectral reflectance of vegetation in semi-desert region Remote Sens. Environ., 57, 88-96
- Kaufman Y.J., and B. N. Holben (1996). Hemispherical backscattering by biomass burning and sulfate particles derived from sky measurement J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.) (special issue on Carbonaceous Aerosol), 101, 19433-19445
- Kaufman Y.J., and D. Tanre (1996). Direct and indirect methods for correcting the aerosol effect on remote sensing Remote Sens. Environ., 55, 65-79
- Keating G. M., L. S. Chiou, and N.C. Hsu (1996). Improved ozone reference models for the COSPAR international reference atmosphere Adv. Space Res., 18, -47
- King M.D., W. P. Menzel, P. S. Grant, J. S. Myers, G. T. Arnold, S. Platnick, L. E. Gumley, S.C. Tsay, C. C. Moeller, M. Fitzgerald, K. S. Brown, and F. G. Osterwisch (1996). Airborne scanning spectrometer for remote sensing of cloud, aerosol, water vapor and surface properties J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech., 13, 777-794
- Lau, K.-M., C. H. Ho, and M. D. Chou (1996). Water vapor and cloud feedback over the tropical oceans: Can we use ENSO as a surrogate for climate change? Geophys. Res. Lett., 23, 2971-2974
- Lau, K.-M., J.-H. Kim, and Y.C. Sud (1996). Intercomparison of hydrologic processes in AMIP GCMs Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc.(10), 77, 2209-2227
- Li, Z-J., A.K. Fung, S. Tjuatja, D.P. Gibbs, C.L. Betty, and J.R. Irons (1996). A modeling study of backscattering from soil surfaces IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 34(1), 264-271
- Marengo J. A., S. E. Nicholson, A. R. Lare, B. A. Monteny, and S. Galle (1996). Application of evapoclimatonomy to monthly surface water balance calculations at the HAPEX-Sahel supersites J. Appl. Meteor., 35, 562-573
- Mohr, K.I., and E.J. Zipser (1996). Mesoscale convective systems defined by their 85 GHz ice scattering signature: Size and intensity comparison over tropical oceans and continents Monthly Weather Review, 124, 2417-2437
- Mohr, K.I., and E.J. Zipser (1996). Defining mesoscale convective systems by their 85 GHz ice scattering signature Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 77, 1179-1189
- Mohr, K.I., E.R. Toracinta , E.J. Zipser , and R.E. Orville (1996). A comparison of WSR-88D reflectivities, SSM/I brightness temperatures, and lightning for mesoscale convective systems in Texas. Part II: SSM/I brightness temperatures and lightning. Journal of Applied Meteorology, 35, 919-931
- Nakajima T., G. Tonna, R. Rao, P. Boi, Y. Kaufman, and B. Holden (1996). Use of sky brightness measurements from ground for remote sensing of particulate polydispersions Appl. Opt., 35, 2672-2686
- Nicholson S. E., A. R. Lare, J. A. Marengo, and P. Santos (1996). A revised version of Lettau's evapoclimatonmy model J. Appl. Meteor., 35, 549-561
- Prabhakara C., J. -M. Yoo, S. Maloney, J. J. Nucciarone, A. Arking, M. Caddedu, and G. Dalu (1996). Examination of global atmospheric temperature monitoring with satellite microwave measurements: 2) Analysis of satellite data J Climatic Change, 33, 459-476
- Prabhakara C., M. Caddedu, J. M. Yoo, A. Arking, and G. Dalu (1996). Examination of global atmospheric temperatue monitoring with satellite microwave measurements: 3) Cloud and rain contamination J. Climatic Change, 33, 491-496
- Sud Y.C., and K. -M. Lau (1996). Comments on "Variability of summer rainfall over tropical North Africa (1906-1992): Observations and modelling" by Rowell, Folland, Maskell & Ward (1995) Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc.(532), 122, 1001-1006
- Sud Y.C., G.K. Walker, J.-H. Kim, G. E. Liston, P. J. Sellers, and K. -M. Lau (1996). Biogeophysical consequences of a tropical deforestation scenario: A GCM simulation study J. Climate(12), 9, 3225-3247
- Sud Y.C., R. Yang, and G.K. Walker (1996). Impact of in situ deforestation in Amazonia on the regional climate: A GCM simulation study J. Geophys. Res. - Atmos.(D3),, 95JDO2754, 101, 7095-7110
- Tanre D., M. Herman, and Y. Kaufman (1996). Information on the aerosol size distribution contained in the solar reflected spectral radiances J. Geophys. Res., 101, 19043-19060
- Tao W.-K., S. Long, J. Simpson, C. -H. Sui, B. Ferrier, and M. -D. Chou (1996). Cloud-radiation mechanisms associated with a tropical and a mid-latitude squall line J. Atmos. Sci., 53, 2624-2651
- Toracinta E.R. , K.I. Mohr, E.J. Zipser , and R.E. Orville (1996). A comparison of WSR-88D reflectivities, SSM/I brightness temperatures, and lightning for mesoscale convective systems in Texas. Part I: Radar reflectivity and lightning Journal of Applied Meteorology, 35, 902-918
- Tsay S.C., P. M. Gabriel, M.D. King, and G. L. Stephens (1996). Spectral reflectance and atmospheric energetics in cirrus-like clouds. Part II: Applications of a Fourier-riccati approach to radiative transfer J. Atmos. Sci., 53, 3450-3467
- Wang P., J. Wang, and Y. Chen (1996). Difference in wind field anomaly effect over the study regions during El Nino episode J. Nanjing Inst. Meteorol., 19, 96-100
- Warren A., Y.C. Sud, and B. Rozanov (1996). The future of deserts J. Arid Environ.(1), 32, 75-89
- Yang F., and Y. Chongguang (1996). Comparative tests and analyses on monsoon and regional precipitation Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 55, 163-176
- Yu H., and W. M. Jiang (1996). Lagrangian simulation of buoyant-plume dispersion in the convective boundary layer Scientia Atmospherica Sinica(6),. (Chinese), 20, 745-750
- Yu H., and W. M. Jiang (1996). Dispersion of air pollutants in the wake area of exhaust tower in Shanghai city Acta Aerodynamica Sinica(3),. (Chinese), 14, 349-354
- Yu H., H. N. Liu, and W. M. Jiang (1996). Experimental study on flow and dispersion in an open mine-pit J. Nanjing University,. (Chinese), 32, 219-223
- Yu H., and W. M. Jiang (1996). A model for dust dispersion in the convective boundary layer J. Nanjing University,. (Chinese), 32, 247-252
- Zhou J., Y.C. Sud, and K. -M. Lau (1996). Impact of orographically induced gravity wave drag in the GLA GCM Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc.(532), 122, 903-927